William Bowen & Adeline Richards were married on December 31, 1874, and built the house across the road from his parents (the old saw millers house).
The Bowen House is an Victorian farmhouse. It was the only house that the Bowenses ever built. William Bowen and his wife lived in the house for many years. They had no children so the house and the mill could not be passed on.
The Sabins take over
The house was owned by many families throughout the years. In 1984 the house fell to foreclosure and Neal and Marion Cook had the opportunity to purchase it to be included in the historical park. Owen & Carleen Sabin (son in law & daughter) moved in shortly after that and began working on restoring the house for tours and helping with the ongoing restoration work on the mill grounds.
A room a year
Every year they would finish another room to be open at the “It’s Cider Time Festivals”. The house has 11 rooms, all of which have been fully restored. Bowens House is often used for gala events.
Creating memories for life
The Sabins now live on the beautiful third level of the mill, helping brides and tour groups that choose Bowens Mills as their venue, make memories that’ll last them a lifetime.